When we surf the web and visit a website, do you wonder where the site is located? Where our browser is taking us as a ‘visitor’? Where do we actually ‘visit’?
Well the answer to this is that all websites are located on various servers owned or taken on lease from some web hosting company.
Web hosting is a type of internet hosting service through which the website is made accessible over the World Wide Web and Web hosts are the corporations that provide that space on a server.
How do we run a website?
To run a website or a micro niche site, you need to keep your website on space which is 24/7 accessible via World Wide Web and the software to deliver that data in orderly manner to anyone who asks for them. You must be thinking of running your website from your own computer, but that’s not a good idea, read on and find out why.
To run the website from your home computer, you will need set up your website and all the required software and leave them on and connected to internet all the time.
Even if this is manageable, your home computer can deal best with one user at a time. If a lot of people try to access your website at the same time, your computer and internet connection will reach their limits and crash.
Instead of running your Website from your home computer you could buy a server, but this option is way too expensive and not practical. So the smartest considerable option is buy Web hosting!
When you buy a hosting plan, you are actually borrowing some part of their servers. Now you can put your website and required softwares on the provided space which will be connected to the World Wide Web 24/7, without any break.
This is a lot more easier and efficient way of running your website. The hosting companies also provide managing tools to organise your website and your piece of the server.
Types of Web Hosting
There are mainly five different types of hosting services available to choose from,
- Shared: Several web hosting customers share the same server, all the websites of different accounts are stored in the same drive and processed by the same CPU.
- Dedicated: You get full control over an entire server, you can install any kind of niche software you like, make changes in the operating system or language interpreters.
- VPS: Virtual private server hosting lies somewhat between the both, Shared and Dedicated hosting. You are allotted the majority of the overall computing power and bandwidth.
- Cloud: A large number of servers are clustered together with combined computing ability sharing a gigantic pool of resources to handle tens of thousands of views per day.
- Managed: You get proactive technical support along with any hosting plan you choose to make up for your lack of technical skills.
I hope now you’ve cleared your doubts regarding Web hosting service. Use the comment box below to leave your queries or suggestions and check out Bluehost, Hostgator, Godaddy for exclusive deals on your very own hosting service!